Every day Life
By: Emilia Jae
July is my husband's favorite month. It's his birthday month and he gets to play outside a lot. Heck, I'm guessing most folks love July. Not so for a lot of dogs. My dog hides, drools, runs away (she ended up in the pound overnight once – talk about a prescription for PTSD), shakes uncontrollably and tries to find comfort while in a state of panic. This continues into August with more firecrackers and celebration.
I know she's not alone. This July Facebook was full of comics like this one:
Yeah – she did the bathtub thing last year at the in -law's cottage. There are a few things we have found that work (sometimes – with great timing on our side…):
· This is where timing comes in: if you know that there will be fireworks, give her L-Theanine ahead of time. It's a dietary supplement used for calming. It doesn't make your dog act like she's drugged, just calm.
More info can be found at http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2014/10/anxitane-l-threanine-for-anxiety-in-dogs/ . By the way – don't buy the products made for animals – they are more expensive and aren't any different than the ones for humans.
· We also use the Thundercoat. It provides firm pressure which can provide comfort.
· Find a room that can be made dark – preferably an internal room with no windows
· If she has a crate – use that. Otherwise, create a "cave" or small space. My dog will make her own if we don't. She has emptied the closet of shoes in order to burrow.
· If the dog has a comfort object - blanket, toy, etc – put that in the "cave"
· Have a noise source: a fan, a radio, TV – that can block or at least blur the blasts.
Other than that, love your animal during this time and pray the idiot next door doesn't drink too much before lighting that mortar he bought at the roadside stand.
Emilia Jae is a certified special education teacher with over 30 years experience. Her family consists of a husband of 28 years and 2 adult children in university. She loves to write, spend time with her family, travel, read, explore the wilderness, exercise and ride her motorcycle. She claims she will never grow up and her behavior bears that out.