Every day Life
Nothing could have prepared me for this….. We received pics of the puppy we were going to get in September from the breeder. We fell in Love with her the same day. We received our puppy on a Friday, she was scratching a lot, but we didn’t see any fleas so we thought it might be fall allergies and change of environment. We took her to the vet the next Monday, we found out that she had a nasty case of ear mites, and more….
When we took in her stool after the initial apt, we found out that she had coccidian and giardia. Ewww!!! They are contagious, even to humans!!! Ewww!!!! “Don’t worry” said the vets receptionist, they are very common, and I’ve never heard of anyone ever catching these “non-worm parasites”. PARASITES???? PARASITES?????? That’s impossible!!!…my whole family has been sleeping with this adorable little puppy for the past week. The vet, when she met her, picked her up and kissed her, let her lick her whole face….my neighbor’s kids and dog played with her. You mean I have a dog that is contagious and can get me and my family sick and that I have to call up my neighbor and ask for forgiveness for maybe getting her and her family sick too??? All I wanted to do at that point was to either leave my puppy at the vet for the next month or so (some times it takes that long to de-parasite them) …or hermetically seal her completely (except the breathing and eating openings) since neither of these were an option, I began my deep breathing and decided to start the cleaning.
Even though I knew I was going to have to really stay on top of my vacuuming and clearing my floors for the puppy, I never thought I would have to bleach everything down, and request everyone in the house to wash their hands after petting our puppy every time. ….what a downer, what a frustration!!! It’s especially hard because this puppy is such a lover too, she lives to sit on your lap and be loved….good thing she’s only 4.5 lbs. …and I’m blessed with wonderful neighbors!!! One great new friend dropped by to drop off some puppy training pads…Absorbs more than cloth alone!!! So now I’m not as anxious about holding her on the couch, I can lay them out on the couch and not worry about any of the parasites.
Even though puppies like our Oreo are susceptible to all parasites since their immune systems are not fully formed, chances are that your puppy had the parasite before it left the breeder if you’ve only had her/him for a few days, since it takes at least two weeks for the parasite to show symptoms. Sometimes, the tests for these parasites don’t come up positive even when the puppy is infected….so retesting may be needed.
Make sure you tell the owners of any other dogs/pets that your pet has played with recently since these parasites are very contagious, and the breeder.
Coccidian and giardia are spread through contact of feces. Most puppies get it from being around their mothers feces. You need to keep everything clean. Continuously wash; your hands, the puppies bowls, any bedding, any beds, clothes, and toys…and make sure you keep loving your pet, it’s not their fault they are infected. They will be clean and healthy soon and because you love them through it, happier than ever.
For ear mites, These pests are so contagious, I’ve heard that it’s impossible to get rid of theme once your pet gets them. Just rubbing up against a dog infected can get your dog infected. They are no threat to humans and are not considered contagious to us. Some people may be allergic to their poop….fun hugh??? So if you get the itches when your dog has them, it probably means that you need to wipe down and vacuum more. They can live over 72 hours off of their host, so keeping your pet off of the sofa and/or the carpet for just a day won’t do it, you need to keep her/him separate for at least 3 days. The best thing for ear mites is to keep their ears clean and free of debris. It’s easy to mistake dirty ears for ear mites, it takes a vets microscope to really see those tiny buggers from a swab. So before you start to clean your pets’ ears, make sure you get them tested because if you don’t take the right precaution, and your pet actually has mites, your pets hearing and health can decline. It’s an easy fix, but it must be done. There are main stream medicines and there are homeopathy ways. I’ve read that some people give their pet apple cider vinegar and water in the ear and to drink to ward off any more mites. But if your pets’ ears are so scratched up that they are almost bleeding, you might want to stay away from the vinegar because it will definitely sting. I’ve also read about mineral oil, or olive oil, or coconut oil. These oils drown the mite, and can be used as antiseptic…especially the coconut oil. Your vet can work with you for the proper medication.
To really keep the ear mites away, you need to keep the ears clean, …atleast once daily. For poodle breeds like our Oreo, their ear hairs will need to be plucked because they are so susceptible to dirt debris and mites. I was told by our vet that it’s just like plucking eyebrows….maybe this is so, but I just can’t bring myself to pull out our puppies hair no matter how many times she poops on my floors.
To give you an idea of what our puppies medication is, she now takes:
Metronidazole 50 mg tinytab: I have to shove the pill down her throat since she likes to lick the peanut butter off and leave the tab (take 1 for 10 days).
Panacur Granules – ..I put ½ pack of this powder onto her kibble every night and she has no problems putting it down, infact I don’t even think she notices it.(take for 6 days)
Albon Liquid ½ oz. I squirt 1 cc onto the bottom of her food dish alone and she licks it up with no problem (the first day was 2cc’s: take this medication for 9 days)
For ear mites:
Tresaderm: 5 to 6 drops in each ear per day, rub gently, you want to hear a squishy sound, and your pet will enjoy the rubbing immensely, even though your tween daughter will run out of the room screaming, Oh my poor Oreo!!! Yuck Yuck Yuck!!!(take for 7 days on , 7 days off, then 7 days on)
Test your puppy again after a month to make sure she has been cleared of the parasites….and as long as she tests positive, she is contagious, so try to keep her and her feces away from other pets and humans.
Here are some more links to help you find your way through the parasite problems: